During our, Snacks Favorite class our little chefs go to make their own homemade pop tarts and “chewy” bars! Since making them for our class, my kiddos at home love helping me make a batch for the week. What is so great about these fast, delicious and sometimes healthy bars, are the different variations that can be made.
For the kids class, we made a smores bar and then a monster bar. For the smores bar, we added mini chocolate chips, mini marshmallows (you know the kind from the cocoa…yuuuum) and crushed graham crackers. For our monster bars, the kids crushed some pretzels and added some mini m&m’s to the mix. (I was going to add some peanut butter but steered away from it for the class in case of any allergies). Then just for fun, we added some eye candies to the top of the bars.
For a healthier version, you can add dried fruit, nuts, seeds etc. Like I said earlier, I tried to steer away from the nuts just to avoid any potential allergies. I love to add coconut, almonds and dark chocolate chunks!
I also love having these on hand because I know what is going in them! I don’t need to add any extra preservatives for them to last longer.
We simply wrapped the bars in parchment paper so the kiddos could take home their creations and share!
I hope that you try this recipe and love it! Let your kiddos help you out and see what they’d like to add.
Fast Easy Granola Bars!
- 1 3/4 Cups of Puffed Rice Cereal
- 2 Cups of Quick Oats
- 1/3 Cup of Honey
- 6 T Butter
- 1/3 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 1 t Vanilla
- 1 Cup of Mix ins (fruit, nuts, chocolate chips etc)
- Combine oats, cereal and mix ins in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Once the butter is melted add the butter and brown sugar.
- Crank up the heat to medium and continue to stir until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat and continue to stir until the mix starts to thicken up. About 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Pour the honey mix over the dry ingredients and stir until the mix starts to hold together.
- Pour the mix into your 9 X 13 pan and press down on your granola bar mix until flat on top.
- Refridgerate for at least 1 hour.
- When you remove the pan from the fridge remove the giant "bar" from the pan by pulling the opposite two corners of the parchment and set on a cutting board.
- Cut your bars to the desired shape.
- Store in a sealed container or wrap in parchment for quick on the go snacks!